How Well-Meaning, Empathetic Therapists Can Make Suicidal Clients Worse
Well-meaning therapists can inadvertently make their clients worse. This workshop will describe how that can happen and how to utilize DBT strategies to address suicidal clients effectively
Did you know that DBT has the most reliable treatment outcomes for chronically suicidal and self-injurious clients? Did you also know that DBT blocks hospitalizations and enforces a 24 hr rule by which a client can’t call their therapist for 24 hrs if they’ve self-harm or attempted suicide? How does this make sense and why are these strategies so effective?
In this training you will learn:
- How to use a behavioral chain analysis to identify the function of suicidal & self-harm behaviors
- Identify critical missing skills
- Develop a clear conceptualization of what is reinforcing or “maintaining” the behavior
- Learn how to confidently block or extinguish dysfunctional behaviors
- Target critical skill development for reinforcement
- How to strategically use warmth and empathy to drag new behaviors out of a stuck client
- Common functions for both self-harm and suicide behaviors for teens and young adults
- Effective replacement skills and behaviors to “solve the problem” in a way that builds a life worth living
Case examples will be used to teach these principles and DBT strategies. The format will be open question and answer throughout the presentation.
Cost: $35 (includes lunch and 2 CEs)
Maggiano’s Little Italy is located on the corner of Bristol and Sunflower as a freestanding building located in the parking lot closest to Sears
2 CEs available for Psychologists, MFTs, LCSWs, LEPs, LPCCs, and RNs.
Cancellation/Refund Policy: If you need to cancel your registration at a later date, please note that refunds will only be issued for cancellations made at least 24 hours before the workshop you register for. Refund request must be made in writing.
CE Accreditation: Compass Behavioral Health is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Compass Behavioral Health (Provider #89604) is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFT’s, LCSW’s, LPCC’s and LEP’s. Compass Behavioral Health (Provider #89604) maintains responsibility for the program and all its content.